Thursday, May 10, 2007

Palinode 21

Animals

      the way

          we don’t speak

and anyway

my sense of god and good morning are the same

/good morning I am across the street at the café/

notes on poem: page five:

CLEAN & JERK
CLEAN & JERK

Lift the bar
A bird can’t do that
and
he will sing not say
CLEAN & JERK
CLEAN & JERK




They
are taking apart the personalities (of all the people) I see every day (on the street)
and
I know that this is not what happens or should happen anywhere (in the world)

If I were making music now, not this poem, I’d say:

We are in service for the speaking

world of

“Clean-limbed”

and

“Human”


I won’t confess anything
but

the radiance I feel when saying

“the

colony is collapsing”

I feel guilty for it,

sure

/not to tell is better /



give me absolute give me still

make the applause sound like a flock of wings of many of the same animal
moving up in the air, a sound I cannot make

the chair is waiting



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good work Hailey. I really like this piece. Wow.

Goofball said...

Hailey,
This poem has a cubist feel. It opens with the deconstruction of an aspect of human existence (animal) presumed or infered by just about any world-view, continues by the (rather brilliant) direct identification of metaphysics (god) and an aspect of physics, rolls with that, etc. But rather than the cubist painter's composition from many angles upon a conventional painting subject (portrait in a chair, still-life with fruit and carafe, etc.), your composition starts with the common association of words, and thus requires less of a veil of conventions to appreciate.
The many of the same animal making a specific kind of sound (a flight of birds does indeed do this) has great poetic elegance, rather like Pound's saying stuff like "silver on silver" and creating a depth and sustained magic in poetry out of what in life would simply be indistinct (or indiscernible) material. I think this sort of thing moves us precisely because it has no analogue in life; a voice announcing "I am impossible, but you hear me."
And at the end the chair is waiting. You can't sit in a portrait.

Goofball